帖子

积分

版主

积分
发表于 2022-6-10 10:33:53 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 方方爱聊天 于 2022-6-10 11:26 编辑

Choosing a DSA school

1. Different promotion criteria in different IP schools
       I notice that all IP schools have their own promotion criteria – by usingall subjects grades or L1R5 as total, and not all school use 50 or 55% as promotion benchmarks – some use 60%. Some IP schools even used to count language grades as double weightage but I believe they have changed that. In general, math and science are accelerated in the IP schools, although different schools are on different speeds of acceleration. In actual fact, the schools that are commonly associated with being very advanced in some of their subject syllabus might not be “faster” than the others – I have learnt the difference between “wide” and “deep” when trying to understand the different schools’ subject offering (not going to elaborate more here). I guess this makes each school unique in their offerings. Project work vs pen and paper exams varies between schools and subjects as well (in terms of marks weightage).

2. Different preference in different IP schools
        In general as well, higher mother tongue in the SAP schools are compulsory (and mandatory to include their grades in the promotion criteria). In the non-SAP schools, there is usually some leeway. Some SAP schools may not be very open to admit during the open houses that HCL is one of the crucial subjects to be considered for promotion – so do ask these questions if these are important to you and your child. I have seen IP students who struggled with math/sciences, and have similarly seen IP students who struggled with the languages/humanities in the IP schools. At the end of the day, it boils down to the student’s interest and aptitude in the subjects – an open discussion you should have with your kids to see which schools (IP or not) fit them better.

3. Different subject choices
       Teachers in IP schools will help the weaker students, and these weaker students might be from either DSA (any domain) or those who entered via PSLE. For subject combo selections at the end of the second year for IP, it is not correct to say that grades don’t matter – because most schools use their overall (eligible) grades to decide if they take a 8, 9 or 10 subject combo in the third year, which might limit their subject combo choices in turn. However, some schools indeed do not need to check the subject grade to decide if you can take that particular subject in the third year – interest takes precedence as long as the child has shown ability in handling its academic demands. Some schools (especially the ones with bigger cohort sizes) will try to accommodate their students’ request to do the subject combo of their choice and will open up more classes if the students meet their requirement.

For those looking at O level schools, the situation will be similar as well. Each school will have their own unique offerings and promotion criteria. There will be teachers who are willing to help and opportunities for each student if they are up for the challenge. So choose the schools that you think suit your children best, or which school will benefit him/her best.

4. The importance of open houses
       Do visit the schools’ open houses (physical and online) to get more current information. The good thing is that some physical open houses are back! It is always nice to visit the schools together with your kids to get a feel of the schools’ vibes and culture. Personally speaking, I believe the schools will “speak” to your children if the school attracts them, so let them have the chance to make their own decisions. There is always something to be learnt from each learning journey that your child takes, whether branded or not.
Whether a school is IP, dual track or O level track, has easier paper, lower promotion criteria, or more “GEP students”, etc. It actually doesn’t matter as much as we think. What matters is your child’s attitude towards learning, whether the school is his/her choice (or your choice?), and most importantly, what kind of environment do you and your child feel will suit him or her more during the next 4-6 years?

5.  Different domain and talent development of each school
        Another point I think parents didn’t consider enough is the domain or talent development of each school. It depends on you and your child’s aim in this DSA exercise – is it the school or domain that you ultimately want? If it is the domain where some schools are champions that your child is going for, some schools maybe not so, even if both types of schools offer the same DSA domain. Some schools also attract more talents even though these kids didn’t go in via DSA. Be prepared if your childis not a champion/heavy weight in that domain – there may be less opportunities for participation. Let your children go in with the awareness that a bigger pond will definitely have many fishes which may be bigger than them. So an honest question to ask your child – do they want to play (as in participate inthese events) or they are just happy to be part of a winning team. Other schools may not win all the awards but your child might get more participation opportunities.

I noticed a new trend over the years – more kids will use DSA to choose not just the school, but also the CCA domain. Which might explain why increasingly, DSA kids are doing as well as, sometimes even better than, the ones who went in by PSLE score. Remember DSA is one way to get your child inthe door, and the rest is up to your child. Keep an open mind, be open tochallenges, and learn from any failures (if any). Even if one door closes, another door will open, as long as your child reaches for the knob. There are indeed many pathways to success. So let’s help our children grow to their fullest potential. All the best to all applicants!
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

高级会员

积分
发表于 2022-6-10 11:28:25 | 显示全部楼层
thank you very much. my children is P5.What should I do to prepare DSA in this year
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

高级会员

积分
发表于 2022-6-10 11:58:24 | 显示全部楼层
Nice page!My goal is HCI, but SMOPS is too difficult Can u give me any suggestions?
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

中级会员

积分
发表于 2022-6-10 11:59:12 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢老师,想不到论坛里还有英文的分析贴,支持,希望后面可以多一些
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

中级会员

积分
发表于 2022-6-10 12:01:35 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 小阳 于 2022-6-10 12:03 编辑

感谢老师的分享,这里还有英文文章。真的是一个很专业的学习平台。
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

高级会员

积分
发表于 2022-6-10 12:03:26 | 显示全部楼层
How can i know the exact date of the schools' open house?
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

高级会员

积分
发表于 2022-6-10 12:03:29 | 显示全部楼层
我们才来新加坡,我的英文不是很好,以后能发双语的吗?
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

中级会员

积分
发表于 2022-6-10 12:05:11 | 显示全部楼层
this article is written in great detail, thank youlook forward to your sharing in the future
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

高级会员

积分
发表于 2022-6-10 15:50:59 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢老师分享,请问你们在新加坡的课是全英文授课吗,还是中英文都有?
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

金牌会员

积分
发表于 2022-6-11 17:57:04 | 显示全部楼层
I agree that DSA is not the only way to success.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|狮城家长论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 04:57 , Processed in 0.011390 second(s), 17 queries .